Saturday, February 13, 2010

'But this feels so unnatural, Peter Gabriel too'


The man is keeping busy. Some of us have heard him working with Hot Chip with his quaint interpretation of 'Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa'. I'm sure the boys in Vampire Weekend were flattered. He's selling out major city tour dates and tweeting up a storm. But, with all of this, he's wrapped up in the studio and ready to put out a new record. Finally, I might add.

Peter Gabriel (the birthday boy today) is about to release Scratch My Back in a couple of days. It's a covers album with some very adventurous selections. I had the pleasure of previewing a few of the tracks off the record. It's certainly a direction I didn't expect him to venture into. Am I surprised to see him covering Radiohead and Regina Spektor? I think so. But, I really can't wait to listen to them. The Magnetic Fields cover is probably the same one he released years back on the Shall We Dance? soundtrack. I'd really like to hear his renditions of David Bowie's 'Heroes' and Neil Young's 'Philadelphia'. But I was blown away with his version of 'My Body Is A Cage' by Arcade Fire, and was, moreover, excited at his choice of doing 'Flume' by Bon Iver.

My Body Is A Cage (Arcade Fire cover) - Peter Gabriel
Flume (Bon Iver cover) - Peter Gabriel

* * *

Speaking of Thom Yorke and company, Stereogum reports that Radiohead may just have finished up a new album. See story here.

1 comment:

  1. I'm very excited to get it. They've been playing stuff from it on the current for a while now. Love his version of Bon Iver's Flume.

    ReplyDelete