Monday, February 15, 2010

Word of the Day

Waiting over an hour to catch the bus home from work in 20-30mph winds blowing wisps of snow is not fun. My roomie was kind enough to put on a pot of coffee back at the apartment for when I would come home. And, I eventually did, some time later. Curry was not happy to be held by me with my fleece jacket wet with snow. The wind chill out there is brutal. But, the Dunkin Donuts coffee is delicious. I've been thawing out ever since.

It's another Monday night in Pittsburgh. Winter storm watch all over Allegheny County. The Hop House will still be there, open and silent. It's free pool night again, folks. I'll be stepping out later for a little nineball. But first, there have been some recent developments in the world of picturestreetsofvienna.

I've recently been contacted by the guys over at ZapTown for a little networking opportunity. More on that as it comes off the wire. I've also twittered a bit with a groovy, up-and-coming band from Portland, Oregon--The Salesmen. Their release Cubicle Rock is in line for a little review coming soon here to psov.

Some concern in the blogger world has risen with the recent fall of great music sites like 'Pop Tarts Suck Toasted', 'I Rock Cleveland', and 'It's A Rap'. I've taken precaution and uploaded a 'sister' psov site at wordpress.com. I'll continue to post here on blogger and upload to wordpress periodically. You can never be too careful...

* * *


The word of the day is 'support'! And, I'm going to throw some of it out there to a few buds I know playing shows in the 'Burgh.

Local four-piece Horse or Cycle has been hitting a few venues locally with some fresh new material that they have been saving up for a promising future full-length release. No word on any date set, but recording sessions have lasted, intermittently, since the beginning of last winter.

They settle nicely in the niche of the new indie folk-rock sound that has been quietly smoldering in Pittsburgh over the last five years. Playing alongside fellow scenesters The Meeting of Important People, Donora, Lohio, Mariage Blanc, and Boca Chica; they've been playing with a little more vim and vigor. There has definitely been a sudden boost in gain on the amplifiers. In sessions, they've incorporated mandolin and acoustic guitars for a little bluegrass infusion with their oft under four-minute compositions. Live, they plug in and sing full on the mic.

I have an old demo given to me by Chris, who handles lead guitar, keyboards, and shares vocal duties with frontman Liam. The songs here are steeped in oldfangled storytelling. Liam's languid baritone recounts tales of disasters and critical moments with a blasé shrug. The organs sound like mating cicadas in the summer, the moog effects channel the sound of wind currents. Each track seems to wrap up without the drag.

Here are two off the demo, check 'em out!


1 comment:

  1. Not bad, can't place who they remind me of. It will probably come to me once I'm in bed. As usual. Ooo, got it. Dr. Dog. But more forlorn.

    ReplyDelete