Saturday, February 13, 2010

'What is this that stands before me... ?'


Heavy metal turned 40 today (and Mats Sundin turned 39). Yep, Feb. 13th 1970 saw the release of Black Sabbath's self-titled debut. That means that if you were age 20 when this album came out and got really into it and stayed a 'metalhead' all the way through, you'd be a 60-year-old metalhead today. Let's hear it for 60-year-old metalheads!

I swear I finally bought the record a few years back in a dollar bin, but I've seemed to have misplaced it. I'm kind of curious where all of my misplaced CDs go. I've managed to do a pretty good job of getting anything I lend out back. My 'Out-List' is growing smaller and smaller. Not that I had lent Black Sabbath out to anyone, in my memory.

Listening to the first track has me a little nostalgic. I remember back in high school when my friend Mitch told me that Electric Funeral (off of Paranoid) was the greatest fucking thing ever. And, ten years ago, when Primus did that cover of N.I.B. for the Nativity In Black tribute album. Or, watching the Behind the Music on Ozzy. I also seem to vaguely remember me as a child making my oldest brother laugh headbanging to Iron Man.

Switch it up a bit. So many great memories of playing NHL '98 over at Matt's trailer and schooling his ass with the Maple Leafs. The Mogilny-Sundin combo was pretty fierce. I have since declared Mats Sundin as my all-time favorite hockey player. The brother was so lethal in overtime. I remember that one commercial he did where he checked that kid into the window. And, the McDonald's commercial with Wayne Gretzky.

Anyway, we have a few other birthdays to share for February 13th.

Here are a few:

Feist is 34 today!
Robbie Williams, 36. (Not that we care.)
Henry Rollins turns 49!
Peter Gabriel, happy 60th!
Tennessee Ernie Ford, you would have been 91 today!



1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday what a great way to honor your 40th! I may copy you this year when I turn 40!

    ReplyDelete